Friday, March 09, 2007

Top 5 Ways of Getting into a Church

I have noticed that some folks have an easier time becoming part of our church than others. Here are a few of the things they have done that seem to make it easier and faster.

  • Make yourself known: As a pastor, I love it when folks approach me and say, “Hey, I’m new. Can we get together so I can learn about your church?”

  • Ask questions: It is not always as easy to understand what to do or where to go at a new church –at least not as easy as we pastors would like to think. Ask a greeter, a pastor what to do, or even call the church before you visit. If you can say “I am looking for a group of recent grads. Where do I go when I come to you church?”, you will learn a lot, and likely have folks looking forward to meeting you on Sunday.

  • Volunteer: You don’t have to have picked a church to volunteer for a special project – or go to a prayer meeting. Serving and praying might give you a way to learn more about the people and the community, and you will likely make a friend.

  • Take a risk: It really is hard to enter a room full of people you don’t know! Working through the fear, and introducing yourself to lots of people may not be who you are, but it will definitely be worth it.

  • Ask for help! Ask a leader or even a member of a small group to help you get to know folks or become part of the fellowship. They can introduce you to people and pave the way for new relationships – or just make you feel less awkward at a party!

No comments:

Welcome to the world of my head!

Hang on - it can be a bumpy ride.